The intention of the WCAHS Adoption Program is to match and permanently place the pets as companion animals with compatible, responsible and loving families. To help us achieve this, we (WCAHS) have put together this list of guidelines that, while by no means complete, should help WCAHS staff determine who is truly ready for the responsibilities of pet ownership.
1. Individuals must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have the knowledge and consent of all adults living in their household.
- Agree to spay/neuter (by a veterinarian) if not done prior to adoption, on or before the date specifed on the adoption contract.
2. All placements are made directly to the adopters. NO pets are adopted for gifts or for a "Second party".
3. Renters must have their landlord’s written permission to keep a pet. Permission will be verified by WCAHS.
4. Any family adopting a WCAHS pet must agree to return the pet if for any reason, they can not keep or care for it.
5. We recommend puppies or kittens be at least 6 months of age for placement with young children.
6. We recommend cats, in general, be kept as indoor pets, but we insist that de-clawed cats be placed as indoor only pets.
7. Any existing household pets must be altered and up to date on vaccinations before the placement of a WCAHS pet in that home. WCAHS will call (vet) to verify current and past vaccination records.
8. While WCAHS has no minimum income criteria, any family considering adoption must have the financial stability to care and provide for a pet. A staff member will discuss minimum care and provision standards with prospective adopters.
9. In most cases there will be a 24-hour hold before adoption to review your application.
10. Understand that WCAHS has the right to deny your application.
*A pre-adopt application must be filled out by any person interested in adopting from WCAHS.
This includes: Spay/Neuter, de-worming, 5-way, bordetella and rabies vaccination.
You will also receive a collar with I.D. tag and vaccination record.
This includes: Spay/Neuter, de-worming, 3-way and rabies vaccination.
You will also receive a cardboard carrying box, vaccination record and collar with I.D. tag if requested